Oprah Winfrey, an iconic Hollywood talk show host and media mogul, has always been open about her struggles with weight.

Now, she's breaking new ground by revealing her use of an unspecified weight loss medication and her decision to stop hiding behind the shame associated with weight management.

Oprah's weight has been a topic of public discussion for decades. Her struggles with weight cycling, commonly known as the ‘yo-yo diet’, have been well-documented. She has often shared her experiences with her audience.

Now, at 69, she's taking a new approach to weight management.

oprah1.JPG
Oprah Winfrey admitted to using medication to help her lose weight. Credit: Shutterstock

In a candid interview, Oprah admitted to using a weight loss medication to help manage her weight.

'I now use it as I feel I need it, as a tool to manage not yo-yoing,' she said.

'The fact that there's a medically approved prescription for managing weight and staying healthier, in my lifetime, feels like relief, like redemption, like a gift, and not something to hide behind and once again be ridiculed for.'

Oprah's decision to use medication for weight loss came after a panel discussion with medical experts in July. She had previously believed that using medication was taking the 'easy way out’.

However, the discussion led to a significant revelation. 'I realised I’d been blaming myself all these years for being overweight, and I have a predisposition that no amount of willpower is going to control,' she said.

‘I’m absolutely done with the shaming from other people and particularly myself.’

While Oprah did not explicitly name the medication she's using, it's widely speculated that it's Ozempic, a Type II diabetes medication that's become popular among celebrities for its weight loss benefits.

Ozempic, also known as semaglutide, is a once-weekly injectable medication that helps control blood sugar levels. However, one of its side effects is weight loss, which has made it a popular off-label choice for weight management.

It should be noted that Ozempic is not a US FDA-approved weight loss medicine.

In Australia, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has approved Ozempic but only for diabetes, while a higher-dose version called Wegovy passed muster for weight loss.

While medication has played a role in Oprah's weight loss journey, she emphasised that it's just one part of a larger health and fitness regimen.

'It’s everything,' she said. 'I know everybody thought I was on it, but I worked so hard. I know that if I’m not also working out and vigilant about all the other things, it doesn’t work for me.'

She also credited hiking for helping her reach her fitness goals. 'I felt stronger, more fit and more alive than I’d felt in years.'

Her decision to share her use of weight loss medication is a significant step in breaking down the stigma associated with weight management.

It's a reminder that weight loss is a personal journey, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution. Whether it's through diet, exercise, medication, or a combination of all three, the most important thing is finding a method that works for you and leads to a healthier, happier life.

That said, it’s important to consult with your GP first before trying any new weight loss drugs or fitness regimen to ensure you’re not straining your body and putting your health at risk.

Whether you're struggling with weight management or another health issue, there are resources and treatments available to help.

As Oprah said, ‘It was a second shot for me to live a more vital and vibrant life.’

What are your thoughts on Oprah's revelation? Have you or someone you know used medication for weight loss? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

You need to be a member of Fashion Industry Network to add comments!

Join Fashion Industry Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oprah's journey with weight has been inspiring for many. It's great to see her taking a new approach and breaking the stigma around weight management. Her openness can really help others feel less alone in their struggles.
    If you're still looking into weight management strategies, I have a suggestion. Steroids aren't as big a deal nowadays, and there are safer options available that could help you achieve your body goals. I even found some steroids for sale on https://fitnflexed.com that you might want to check out. Just see what works best for you.
    Fit N Flexed Steroids for Sale USA
    Buy high quality anabolic steroids inline with Fit N Flexed Steroids Store. We accept payment by Paypal & BTC, shipping to USA with guarantees.
  • I take Oprah's opinion with weight loss with a grain of salt. She pays a personal chef.
This reply was deleted.

Forum Rules

PLEASE keep all discussions relevant to fashion, textiles, beauty products, or jewelry.

Follow the Fashion Industry Network Rules.

It is always a good time to review fabulous fashion.

Hot topics of possible interest:

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.